Saturday, September 8, 2012

Food

Food is energy!  We expend a lot of calories in our activities and proper nutrition fuels our tanks and keeps us going.  Food is largely a choice of each individual and is dependent on the activity and the duration of the activity.  Food for car camping will be different than food for backpacking.

When your Scout is choosing food for camp outs and backpacking the most important thing is to pick food he likes to eat.  DO NOT let his first 50 mile afoot be the testing ground for new food.  I recommend that you shop around for different foods purchase them, prepare them and try them at home.  Make sure they taste good, have a high calorie to weight ratio, and are easy to prepare.

A few things to consider when meal planning:
  • What tools do I need to prepare this meal?
  • Do I have food that will spoil if I don't keep it cold?
  • Will I have to carry it on my back?
  • How much garbage will I have to pack out with me?
  • How will I keep my food away from critters and or bears?
  • Am I planning for myself or is this camp out Patrol Style?

Listed here are a few ideas of foods to start out with, the options are endless and what works for me will be different than what works for your Scout.  I am limiting this list to backpacking style foods as foods for car camping are a lot easier to choose.  This list is also the lazy list of foods that are easiest to prepare and only require boiling water.  As your Scout gets experienced the sky is the limit.

Proper meal planning involves a balance of carbohydrates (energy sustaining), proteins (muscle building) and fats (energy storing).  I like to munch continuously during the day (calorie drip) and try to replace as many calories as I can at dinner time.

Breakfast
Protein bars and Meal replacement bars
Instant Oatmeal
Pop-Tarts
Dehydrated Egg Meals
Cereal and Powdered Milk

Lunch
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Tuna Salad and Crackers
Salami and Hard Cheese
Tortillas
Flat Breads and Bagels

Dinner
Dehydrated Meals (I like Mountain House brand)
Ramen Soups
Instant potatoes and string cheese with bacon bits

Snacks
Granola and Snack bars
GORP - Good Old Raisins and Peanuts (Trail Mix)
Beef Jerky and Slim Jims
Rice Krispy Treats
Dried Fruits and Nuts




No comments:

Post a Comment